Wednesday, April 6, 2011

LG Fashion Week Review: Anu Raina

Toronto's LG Fashion Week is a chance for the Fashion Design Council of Canada to show off home-grown talent.

Anu Raina put on an amazing show on Friday. The runway was backlit, making the models’ curls look as though they were on fire. The finale looked like a meeting of some mysterious secret society, with the models walking out as a group before lining up on either side of the runway so the designer could walk out. To be perfectly honest, the only aspect of the show I wasn’t quite in love with was the collection itself.


Don’t get me wrong, Raina is indisputably talented. And some pieces, especially the long purple tie-dyed dress, were amazing. It might just be a matter of personal taste, but I feel that some of the pieces (like the printed sheer tunics) veer a bit into “middle aged hippy at a yoga retreat” territory. Raina’s word-print seemed to work better on the scarves she showed, which were gorgeous.


While I appreciate the mood the Raina created in her fall collection, none of the pieces are in danger of landing in my closet anytime soon (and not just because I probably couldn’t afford them).

Both photos taken by me.

No comments: