Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Three Looks Featured on "People of Wal-Mart" That Are Actually Sort of Amazing

I'm not a big fan of People of Wal-Mart. For those who don't know, the blog shows oddly dressed or otherwise weird looking people shopping at Wal-Mart. I thought it was sort of a funny idea when it first began, but I quickly realized that:

a) 90% of the posts are just "look at this person with a mullet and/or fat rolls and/or visible thong."

b) It's pretty mean spirited. It refers to the fashion victims it features as "creatures," which crosses the line from funny over to mean, in my opinion.

The funny thing is that, while most of the fashion is pretty bad, some of it is secretly sort of awesome.

Exhibit A:


You can't tell me people wouldn't be all over this look if she was some nubile young hipsterette. I'm possibly biased, because I think the elderly pull off eccentricities better than anyone, but I think this woman is ridiculously cool.


Exhibit B:



I'm sorry, if you don't think appearing as if you have befriended oodles of butterflies is a good look, than you are no friend of mine.


A slightly more understated version of the look showcased on Jak & Jil


Exhibit C:


Doesn't this one sort of remind you of Jeremy Scott's latest collection? Or of something Tavi would wear?



I guess one person's trailer trash is another's sartorial treasure?

No comments: